- 2 boîtes de Sardines sans arêtes, au citron et à l’huile d’olive vierge extra
- 4 small round buns (e.g. pan bagnat)
- 3 courgettes
- 2 aubergines
- 2 tomatoes
- A small jar of pesto
- Salt, ground pepper
- Cut the courgettes and aubergines lengthways and finely slice the tomatoes. Place them under the grill or in a frying pain to sear. Don’t cook them too much – they should remain slightly crunchy.
- Drain the sardines. Put 3 teaspoons of the sardine oil in a bowl and add 3 tablespoons of pesto.
- Cut the top off one of the buns and scoop out the inside. Using a pastry brush, spread the inside of the bun with the pesto mix then add the other ingredients in layers: first the aubergines, the courgettes then the crumbled sardines, the tomatoes and finally a layer, of pesto. Repeat. Continue until your bread is full.
- Put the top of the bun back on and wrap and seal in cling film. Leave in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Prepare the other buns the same way.